The Town Clerk serves as ….
Chief Election Official
- Oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections.
- Directs preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment, voting lists, administers campaign finance laws, certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions, and usually serves on the local Board of Registrars.
- Supervises voter registration and absentee balloting, and prepares, records and reports official election results to the Secretary of State of the Commonwealth.
- Conducts the annual town census, prepares the street list of residents and school list, and furnishes the jury list to the Office of the Jury Commissioner.
- Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including town meeting legislation and appropriations, Planning and Zoning Board Decisions, signs all notes for borrowing, and keeps the Town Seal.
Registrar of Vital Statistics
- Registers all vital events occurring within the community and those events occurring elsewhere to local residents.
- Records and preserves original birth, marriage, and death records providing the basis for the Commonwealth's central vital registration system.
Public Records Officer
- Administers the oath of office to all elected and appointed members of local committees and boards and ensures that all elected and appointed officials are informed of the State's Open Meeting and Conflict of Interest Laws. Posts meetings of all government bodies.
- Provides access to public records in compliance with State Public Records Law and corresponding regulations.
- Provides certified copies of vital records and conducts or assists with genealogical research for members of the public, and is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials.
- Maintains records of adopted municipal codes, local bylaws, oaths of office, resignations and appointments, petitions, publications, budgets, meeting minutes, and financial statements.
- Submits bylaws and zoning ordinances to Attorney General for approval.
- Issues state licenses and permits: including marriage licenses, hunting, fishing, and trapping licenses and permits for raffles and bazaars. Issues county or local licenses, permits, and certifications as mandated by statute or bylaw, which may include burial permits, business certificates and dog licenses.
Public Information Officer
- Responds to inquiries from the general public, frequently serving as facilitator with departments, providing knowledge and assistance in a fair and impartial manner to all.
|George E. Roberts||Town Clerk (2023)||413-623-8934 Extension 111|