Becket 250th Committee
December 10, 2012
Call to order
Becket 250th Committee informally met at 4:00 P.M. on December 10, 2012 in Becket Town Hall.
The following people were present: Rita Furlong, Sandi Jarvis, Barbara Roberts, Ann Spadafora
Discussed recruiting additional members for the 250th Committee-We need all the help we can get to plan a successful celebration.
Discussed/Brainstormed ideas to celebrate Becket’s 250th
- Becket was incorporated on June 21
- Discussed whether 250th Committee should have recognized officers or members only
Discussed changes in Town employees, reduced funding from the State; Selectboard Meetings are now being filmed with 4 cameras purchased with Becket Athenaeum funds
- Discussed possibility of grants; Ann is going to discuss future incoming Article from the 250th Committee for funding to the Finance Committee
- Discussed a set meeting time; proposed 1st Monday of each month, if it is a holiday then meeting will be held on the 1st Tuesday of the month
- Update A Bicentennial History of Becket to include town history from 1965-2015; Tony Jayne has agreed to take photos; Barbara will outline a master list for the format and areas to be covered for a Sestercentennial edition based on the Bicentennial book; Ann and Sandi also agreed to assist with researching last 50 years of Becket history [Since Dec. 10 Paul & Jane Cashman and Bruce Garlow have graciously offered to assist on the Update-THANK YOU!]
- Ask town residents to submit memories of Becket; after listening to long time residents Barbara, Rita, and Ann’s brief, interesting reminisces the Committee will try to collect stories to publish weekly articles leading up to the 250th, or a small booklet; Skip Saville, Bob Podolski, Bill Robinson possible contacts
Camps-How can they help-facilities, catering, parking; Rita and Sandi will approach the camps
- Discussed involving all areas of the Town: sub-divisions, Fire Department, Town Departments, Camps; recognized a need to unite all areas of the Town in the Sestercentennial celebrations
Discussed an additional program idea: at Sandisfield’s Constitution Day last year the “Bill of Rights” set to music was presented, moving, inspirational; could Bobby Sweet help with a Becket Town Song?
- Dedication of new monuments honoring the Town’s Revolutionary and Civil War soldiers are being planned by the Park Commission, this could be a closing event for the 250th celebrations, period food, costumes, Town Village Fair, Dream Away, town restaurants/caterers offer their food for sale at event?
Discussed researching famous and long time townspeople, factories
- Discussed “Spirit of Becket” as possible name for the 250th Celebration
Review ideas previously presented
Bring additional ideas to add to the discussion
Approve a regular meeting date and time
Work on Article for Town Meeting seeking funding for the 250th Committee
Monday January 7, 2013
Becket Room, Town Hall 4 P.M.
There must be a quorum of committee members for official business to be conducted, please make every attempt to attend the monthly meetings. Thank you.
Meeting adjourned at 5:00 P.M.
Submitted by: Sandi Jarvis