Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the website for Becket, Massachusetts

Green Community Sign

E-Government Award Receipient
Becket, Massachusetts, Town Seal

Click for Becket, MA Forecast

Q:  What is the fiscal year tax cycle in the Town of Becket?

A:  The fiscal year begins July 1st and runs through June 30th, six months ahead of the calendar year.

Q:  I don’t understand the new bill format?

A:   This is our attempt to clarify the quarterly tax installment process.
The tax bill is divided into 3 parts.  The top is a permanent record for the taxpayer.  The bottom two coupons are for each installment to be mailed back to the Collector with your payment.  If you would like a receipt, please mail the top portion along with a self addressed stamped envelope and we will return your receipted document.

Q:  When I receive my tax bills (1st and 2nd quarters) and  (3rd and 4th quarters) can I pay two quarters at the same time?

A:  Yes you may.

Q:   Why can’t I pay the full year?

A:  The preliminary bill that is issued on July 1st is an estimated bill based on 50% of the prior tax year divided into two equal installments.  The tax bill released on January 1st is the actual tax for the year minus what has been paid preliminarily.  Therefore, the amount due on the 1st and 2nd installments are different than the 3rd and 4th installments.  

Q:  If I have more than one (1) bill can I write one (1) check?

A:  Yes.  Be sure to include your bills so we know where to apply the payments.

Q:  Can I pay my real estate, personal property or district tax on-line?

A:  Yes, you may pay your taxes on-line through Unibank by visiting the link on our home page.  You may link your checking account to make payments at no additional cost.  You may use one of several major credit cards to make payments with an additional fee collected and also retained by Unibank.  We have instructions on Getting Started with Online Payments.

Q:  Can I use my bank’s online bill-pay service to pay my real estate, personal property or district taxes?

A:  We would prefer that online payments be made through the link on our website and not through your bank’s online bill pay.  We included a letter on this with a past tax bill mailing which you can read here.  If you feel you must pay through your bank’s online bill pay then please be very specific and note in the memo field what bill(s) you intend to pay.

Q:   If I would like a receipt can I have my bill stamped paid and returned to my address?

A:  Yes,  you will have to send along the top portion of the tax bill along with a  “Self Addressed Stamped Envelope”.  We will stamp and return your payment stub.  You will need to keep that on file and return the same stub with the 2nd payment.

Q:  What happens if I do not pay my tax bill on time?

A:  Tax payments must be received on or before the due date to avoid interest charges.  If payment is not made on time the account will begin to accrue interest at the rate of 14% computed from the due date.

Q:  Why should I pay interest on a late payment when I never received my tax bill?

A:  Under Massachusetts General Law, failure to receive a bill does not affect the validity of the tax or any interest or fines incurred due to late payment(s).
It is the responsibility of the taxpayer to secure his/her tax bill when one is not received.

Q:  Who is responsible for the taxes if a property sold after January 1st?

A:  Although the tax bill will bear the name of the assessed owner as of January 1st, the new owner is responsible for all taxes once the sale of the property is finalized.   The attorney assisting each  party will investigate any outstanding taxes and request  a Municipal Lien Certificate reflecting the tax status.    Therefore the amount of tax owed by the old owner can be determined at the time of closing and is typically deducted from the selling price.  Once this deduction is made, the new owner is responsible to pay all bills, as they become due in order to avoid interest, demand fees or foreclosure.

Q:  What should I do if I recently sold my property, but I am still receiving a tax bill?

A:   If you receive a bill, please forward it to the new owner immediately as it is her/his responsibility to make payment.

Q:  Can I get an abatement and where do I file the application?

A:  You must contact the Assessors’ Office either by telephone @ 413-623-8934 ext. 18 or e-mail.

Q:  What should I do in the event I do not receive my bill?  

A:  You should contact the Tax Collector’s office to request a bill by email or calling (413) 623-8934 ext: 16.

Q:  What do I need to do if my mortgage company pays the taxes on my property?

A:  If a bank or mortgage company escrows your taxes, you will want to ensure that they make that payment timely.  You should forward a copy of your tax bill to your mortgage holder as soon as you receive it.

Q:   What do I do to change my mailing address?

A:  You must contact the Assessors’ Office either by telephone @ 413-623-8934 ext. 18 or e-mail.

Virtual Towns & Schools Website