Skip Navigation
This table is used for column layout.
Welcome to the website for Becket, Massachusetts

Green Community Sign

E-Government Award Receipient
Becket, Massachusetts, Town Seal

Click for Becket, MA Forecast
What work that I may want to do on my property is under the jurisdiction of the Becket Conservation Commission?
The purpose of the Wetlands Protection Act is to protect water resources, and the way the act does this is by creating jurisdictional areas comprised of the resource areas  as well as certain buffer zones  near those resources.

Under the act, no one may “remove, fill, dredge, or alter” any wetland, bank of a lake or stream, land under a water body, land within 100 feet of any of these resource areas, land within 200 feet of a perennial stream or river, or within a floodplain, without a permit from the Conservation Commission.  The term ‘alter’  includes any activities that will change drainage characteristics, impact the water table, destroy vegetation, or impact the physical, biological, or chemical characteristics of the receiving water.  The regulations prohibit most destruction of wetlands and naturally vegetated riverfront lands.
If you are doing any construction, digging, cutting of trees, or other work:
·       Within 200 feet of a perennial stream.
·       Within 100 feet of an intermittent stream.
·       Within 100 feet of a wetland,
·       Within 100 feet of a lake or pond
·       Within a 100 year floodplain,

Then your work is under the jurisdiction of the Conservation Commission, and you may need to obtain a permit for such activity.  Some minor activities may be exempt from these permitting requirements.  You may call the Commission at Town Hall (413) 623-8934, to ask if your planned activities are exempt, or consult the regulations.

Virtual Towns & Schools Website